BDE - Board Committees
There will be no standing committees of the board, as the board believes that it operates most effectively without committees. Board members will typically receive the same information, explore options, and make decisions together.
The chair may appoint special committees when the need arises. The function of special committees will be fact-finding, deliberative, and advisory, but never legislative or administrative. All committees will report their findings to the board for discussion and action.
Any special committee’s authority and scope of its assignment will be specified by the board chair at the time of its formation. Such committees will serve until they have accomplished their purpose and/or until they are discharged by the chair. The superintendent will serve as an ex-officio member of all special committees.
Committee meetings will be open to the public. Committees will make reasonable and timely efforts to give notice of their meetings in accordance with applicable provisions of the South Carolina Freedom of Information Act.
Committee members may vote to hold executive session for reasons provided for in law (see policy BEC, Executive Sessions/Open Meetings).
- S. C. Code of Laws, 1976, as amended:
- Section 30-4-20(a) - Defines public body.
- Section 30-4-60 - Meetings of public bodies will be open with limited exceptions.
- Section 30-4-70 - Meetings which may be closed.
- Section 59-19-110 - Board may designate members to hear or otherwise explore matters under its control.