BE - Board Meetings
All board meetings will be conducted in accordance with the South Carolina Freedom of Information Act. Every meeting of the board will be open to the public except for executive session held in accordance with state law.
The board holds its annual organizational meeting on the fourth Tuesday in January. The board elects officers at the annual meeting.
Regular Board Meetings
Regular board meetings are scheduled for the second and fourth Tuesday of each month. The regularly scheduled time will be 6:30 p.m. All meetings will adjourn no later than 9:30 p.m. unless extended by a majority vote of the board. There is no meeting in July and only one in December on the second Tuesday.
The board may change the time and place of the regular meeting upon a majority vote of the board at a duly called board meeting.
From time to time the board may meet in work sessions. These sessions provide the board opportunities for in-depth planning and discussion without formal action. Topics for discussion will be announced publicly, and sessions will be conducted in accordance with state law.
The chair of the board or a majority of the board may call a special meeting of the full board. The superintendent should give at least 24-hours notice to all members of the board and the public except when emergency conditions make such notice impossible. The board will not transact any business other than that which is stated in the notice.
The board may occasionally conduct public hearings for the community to express their views regarding a specific issue. The board will conduct such meetings consistent with board policy and regulation.
Cancellation of Meetings
A board meeting may be cancelled:
- by a majority vote of the board at a duly called board meeting
- by a declaration by the board chair, or if the chair is unavailable, the vice chair, in consultation with the superintendent, when a significant event beyond the board’s control renders attendance at the meeting unsafe or unreasonable in light of the circumstances (e.g. inclement weather conditions or local, state, or national emergencies)
- when a quorum cannot be reached
The latest edition of Robert’s Rules of Order will govern all matters not covered by the rules of the board.
- S.C. Code of Laws, 1976, as amended:
- Sections 30-4-10, et seq. - South Carolina Freedom of Information Act.
- Section 59-1-340 - Board meetings.
- Section 59-19-110 - Board may designate members to hear or otherwise explore matters under its control.