The minutes of a school board meeting constitute the permanent and official record of board action.
The board secretary or his/her designee will keep a complete record of the action of board meetings. As provided by the South Carolina Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), these minutes will include, but need not be limited to, the following:
- the date, time, and place of the meeting
- the members recorded as either present or absent
- the substance of all materials proposed, discussed, or decided and, at the request of any member, a record, by an individual member, of any votes taken
- information that any board member requests be included in the minutes and written statements, which will be subject to the following:
- limited to written materials germane to the public agenda which, absent exceptional or special circumstances as determined by the board chair, will be limited to one page (front and back) and must be presented in writing to the board’s recording secretary or the board chair at the time of the meeting
- designated as an attachment to the minutes, with the disclaimer that such materials are included at the request of a board member pursuant to state FOIA and do not imply approval or disapproval by the board majority or any other board action
- the board chair, or presiding officer, always has the prerogative to rule any such request out of order for the reason that such materials are not germane to the agenda, are inappropriate as an attachment, or that the materials are otherwise publicly available; such ruling by the presiding officer will stand unless overturned by the board majority
A record of efforts made to comply with the notice provisions of the FOIA will be included in the minutes.
The minutes, with agenda, will become permanent records of the board and will be in the custody of the superintendent. The minutes will be available on the district website within 10 days of the next board meeting, and the superintendent will also make them available to interested citizens of the district upon request, with exceptions as provided by law, at reasonable times during the working day.
- S.C. Code of Laws, 1976, as amended:
- Section 30-4-90 - South Carolina Freedom of Information Act; minutes of board meetings.
- Section 59-19-80 - Contracts offered for employment and purchases required to be recorded in board minutes.
- C. Cases:
- Donohue v. City of North Augusta, 412 S.C. 526, 773 S.E.2d 140 (2015).