COVID-19 Information & Updates
In order to promote good mental and social health during school closures, please be advised that while you are monitoring your child(ren), please check regularly for any signs of anxiety, depression, and adjustment disorders. If after discussing with your child(ren) concerns that need to be addressed, please seek professional help through the following means:
- Orangeburg Area Mental Center Crisis Hotline 24 Hours: (833) 364-2274
- Orangeburg Area Mental Health: (803) 536-1571
Talking Tips for Families
Talking with children about Coronavirus Disease: Messages for parents, school staff, and others working with children. As public conversations around coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) increase, children may worry about themselves, their family, and friends getting ill with COVID-19. Parents, family members, school staff, and other trusted adults can play an important role in helping children make sense of what they hear in a way that is honest, accurate, and minimizes anxiety or fear. CDC has created guidance to help adults have conversations with children about COVID-19 and ways they can avoid getting and spreading the disease.
Some general principals for talking to children include:
- Remember that children will react to both what you say and how you say it. They will pick up cues from the conversations you have with them and with others.
- Make yourself available to listen and to talk.
- Make time to talk. Be sure children know they can come to you when they have questions
- Avoid language that might blame others and lead to stigma.
- Remember that viruses can make anyone sick, regardless of a person’s race or ethnicity. Avoid making assumptions about who might have COVID-19.
- Pay attention to what children see or hear on television, radio, or online.
- Provide information that is honest and accurate.
- Give children information that is truthful and appropriate for the age and developmental level of the child.
And many more guidelines and tips can be found in our COVID-19 information document here.